Monday, December 8, 2008

It was 28 years ago today...


John and Yoko. 1981. Oil on canvas. h18 x w24 in.

I was watching Monday Night Football in my apartment in Dallas. The Miami Dolphins were hosting the New England Patriots. Miami won the game 16-13 in overtime, with a 23 yard field goal by Uwe von Schamann. His 3rd field goal of the night. It was December 8th, 1980. I'm sure I was nursing a beer. I'm sure it was a Coor's. I was just a child and had not yet cultivated my sophisticated taste for imported malt beverages.

It was during the broadcast of that game when Howard Cosell broke the news to the world that John Lennon had been shot, and killed.

I'm sure I had several more beers that night. 

I painted the above oil painting a few weeks after that night. It's of the iconic photograph taken by Kashin Shinoyama that appears on the album cover of Double Fantasy, John Lennon's then just released record. The album cover is black and white, but I squinted my eyes and imagined some subtle colors.

6 comments:

Doug said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeff said...

Very nice art and writing, Bill.

Kathleen Rietz said...

THIS...is...INCREDIBLE!

I remember that day still. It was very very sad. I cried. I was very young (younger than you..ha ha), but as a true artist I was so saddened by his death and the way his life was ended...and the end of the love story between he and Yoko. Your painting is amazing, and really captures in color what a photo could not.

Willie Baronet said...

I remember hearing that as well. It was a rainy day in south La. Nice piece.

Willie Baronet said...

There is absolutely no cheating going on. :-) Just raw speed.

Andrea said...

Hi Bill, thanks for stopping by my blog. This is a lovely painting! I am bookmarkin' ya! Cheers!